Pages



Saturday, January 11, 2014

Katie's Closet ~ How to Not Shop in the Maternity Department

    While I'm recovering from little Miss Taylor and wearing yoga pants and sweatshirts around the house, my "Katie's Closet" posts for the next few weeks will be a little different. This week I wanted to share with you how to not shop in the maternity department.
    I received many comments and emails asking how I wore my regular clothes throughout my pregnancy. Before I continue, I want to remind you that every woman is different. Pregnancy is completely unpredictable and no one knows how your body will react until it actually happens. Some women are rocking maternity jeans at 3 months while others don't wear them until the last trimester. Some people show almost immediately while others take months and months. Again, every woman is different and every pregnancy is different. It's not like I didn't ever wear maternity clothes. I absolutely needed maternity pants by month 5 and started wearing some shirts around 6 months. It's necessary to have some maternity clothes, but for the most part, you can definitely wear your regular clothes or mix it in with maternity clothes.
   When I found out I was pregnant, I was so excited to buy some cute maternity clothes. Once I started shopping, I was baffled at how horrible the majority of the clothes were! Why do they make such boring, huge, ugly maternity clothes? We don't all want to look like tents, sorry! I also made the mistake of buying some maternity shirts in my first trimester only to never wear them later because they didn't fit right. I had no idea how my body was going to look so I just bought what I thought I would need. Lesson learned- wait until I have a belly to buy clothes!

 Here are some tips for rocking your cute clothes for the next 40 weeks:
- Belt it! To prevent looking like a tent and accentuate your growing belly, simply belt your shirt, tunic, dress, etc. on the top of your belly.
- Maxi it up! Maxi dresses and skirts can usually be worn throughout your entire pregnancy. They're so comfortable and can be worn during every season. You might just have to wear them a little lower than usual.
- Tunics and leggings: Comfortable and cute, just don't forget to belt it or you'll feel like a blimp!
-Blouses: I wore a lot of blouses and flowy shirts, especially during the second trimester. 
-Belly Band: To wear your favorite jeans and pants throughout your pregnancy, invest in a belly band. I was able to wear some of my favorite colored jeans for months without anyone knowing that under my belly band my pants were completely unbuttoned and unzipped!
-Dress or Tunic?  What once was a dress has now become a tunic/shirt. Embrace it and wear it like a shirt! (See polka dot denim dress for example)
-Fabric choice: Wear items that have a lot of stretch in them. Most of my dresses pictured are very stretchy which is why I could still wear them into my third trimester. They're extremely forgiving and comfortable.

  Here are examples of non maternity clothes that I wore during my pregnancy:
Left: Not pregnant.
Right: 3rd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 2nd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: Third trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 2nd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: Third trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 2nd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 3rd trimester. Same top mixed with maternity jeans.
Far left: Not pregnant
Center two: 2nd trimester
Far right: Not pregnant
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 3rd trimester. Same skirt mixed with maternity shirt. 
Top two pictures: Not pregnant
Bottom two pictures: 2nd trimester. Same top mixed with maternity pants.
Light: Not pregnant
Right: 3rd trimester. Same sweater mixed with maternity pants.
Left: 2nd trimester
Right: 3rd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 2nd trimester. Same top mixed with maternity pants. 
Left: 2nd trimester
Right: 3rd trimester
Left: Not pregnant
Right: 2nd trimester